Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nationwide tobacco use and health concerns study

Within the past few weeks, I have been a part of a new scientific study through the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH). This study, in collaboration between The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), was announced in October 2011 and aims to teach the public why and how people are using – or not using – different types of tobacco products and how use may affect health. The PATH’s goal is to interview about 59,000 people aged 12 and older, which makes this new study the largest of its kind ever done.

How it works is a household is chosen at random from any city across the nation and an interviewer contacts the residents of the home or apartment. Anyone, 12 or older, living at the address can take a quick survey to see if they are eligible. If the residents agree to take the survey, a residential interviewer sets up a date and time to come to the address and guide the residents through the survey. If you are chosen, you can then choose to be a participant in the study. As compensation, PATH offers a $35 debit card as a thank you for participating in the study.

David Hinson, a fellow CSU Ram randomly selected to partake in the study said that although he has never used a tobacco product before in his life, his participation was greatly encouraged and appreciated. His interviewer said to him that there were practically no participants so far who had not used tobacco products before, so it was very important to have his participation to account for at least 1,000 of our peers who have the same non-tobacco habits as him.

When I contacted PATH, the man who I spoke with said that I was a prime participant, for I am a college student of average height and weight with a part-time job. The man explained that since they are hoping for about 60,000 participants, I would roughly represent 1,000 of my peers.


Emily A. Gossner, the woman who conducted my study, also filled me in with other questions I had and gave me more insight about the study. Gossner said every year, for at least three years, I will be contacted and encouraged to re-participate in the study as a follow-up on tobacco their use. Also, for more of my heath information, PATH is asking me if they could acquire urine, blood, and saliva samples, or any combination of the three. I was allowed to decline though, and I did.

Gossner also said that the study will conclude and by published hopefully near the end of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment